Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza Says He Needs To Be Notified Before He Will Fight
Posted by Joseph Lee on 09.04.2012
But he's ready to do so...
MMA Junkie reports that Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (16-3 MMA, 6-1 SF) say he's ready to fight after his 41-second knockout win over Derek Brunson but he needs some sort of notice.
His manager Gilberto Faria said that the call from Strikeforce for a fight has not happened. He said: "So far, we haven't been contacted regarding 'Jacare' being on the (Nov. 3) card, but it would seem like not."
Champion Luke Rockhold is scheduled to co-headline "Strikeforce: Cormier vs Mir" against Lorenz Larkin on November 3 at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. The card will air live on Showtime and Showtime Extreme.
Faria said Souza needs a call by the end of the week to agree to compete on the card. He added: "If he doesn't get a call this week, it's going to be too close to fight. We've got to get back in the gym and be ready to rock and roll."
There were rumors after the announcement of Rockhold-Larkin that Souza could fight Roger Gracie, who went 1-2 against him on the submission grappling circuit and made his debut at middleweight in July. Faria said he wasn't opposed to a fight between the two, although he thought it was maybe too early. He said: "He's a great guy. Roger is still getting his feet wet at 185, but Jacare is a bad matchup for him right now."
Souza is on a two-fight winning streak after losing by unanimous decision to Rockhold in September 2011 at "Strikeforce Grand Prix: Barnett vs. Kharitonov." As well as his knockout of Brunson, he also made Bristol Marunde submit in March at "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey."