[VIDEO] Miguel Torres Says Second UFC Cut Not Result of Disciplinary Action
Posted by Jeffrey Harris on 09.06.2012
Torres gives his side of the story...
Former UFC fighter and WEC Bantamweight Champion, Miguel Torres (40-5, MMA), spoke with MMAjunkie Radio. Torres commented on his second release from ZUFFA and the UFC. It was originally reported by Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer that Torres' second cut was a disciplinary action as the result of Torres making a joke on Twitter similar to what had gotten him fired previously late last year.
According to Torres, this is not the case, "I thought that was kind of funny that (people would think) I would make the same joke. That's what people want to say, that's what people want to think, (but) I just know that I'm fighting for the World Series of Fighting." But regarding the exact reasoning of his release and if it was a result of his most recent loss despite having a 2-2 record under the UFC banner, Torres said, "I don't know, man. It's not for me to say. I just go out there and fight."
Torres is now set to fight in the main event for the World Series of Fighting in an event in Las Vegas on November 3 in the main event against an opponent to be determined. Regarding the signing, Torres said, "They gave me a very good contract, good benefits, and they're going to be on TV. So what's to look forward to in a promotion other than those things?"
Torres owns and runs his own MMA gym in Hammond, Indiana but also works at Tristar Gym with coach and trainer Firas Zahabi. He's also spent time training with the Blackzilian team in Florida. Torres still claims he's trying to find a balance between being aggressive in a fight but also fighting smart: "I do the best that I can when I fight. I can't make everybody happy. If I fight too safe, the fans don't like it. If I fight aggressively, I lose, and fans don't like it. So I've got to find a middle ground and do what's best for me and my family."