Wanderlei Silva Admits To Taking A Banned Substance
Posted by Joseph Lee on 06.17.2014
NSAC will weigh in on the evidence...
MMA Junkie reports that Wanderlei Silva admitted that he took diuretics before his planned fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC 175. This may set the stage for a complaint and suspension by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. He took the substance to help heal from a wrist injury he received in a brawl with Sonnen in February on the set of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3, according to his lawyer Ross Goodman.
Goodman previously represented Nick Diaz when he appealed a positive test for marijuana at UFC 143. He said Silva was worried about failing a random drug test that the NSAC ordered on May 24 and he avoided a sample collector hired by them. Goodman apologized on behalf of Silva and said his actions were not an admission of performance-enhancing drug use.
The NSAC plans to review his case and decide if they will file a formal complaint against Silva, who will have to explain himself before the commission. NSAC chair Francisco Aguilar recommended that they move forward with the complaint. This could mean a suspension and fines for Silva, who was not licensed at the time of the test but still subject to random tests. NSAC commissioners Raymond "Skip" Avansino and Pat Lundvall said that there would likely be action against Silva. Silva lost fought in March 2013 when he knocked out Brian Stann in Japan.
Silva was removed from the fight from Sonnen after the May 24 incident, reported by Sonnen on UFC tonight Vitor Belfort was named as a replacement (pending NSAC approval) for the July 5 event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, but then Sonnen tested positive for two banned substances and it was canceled. He then announced his retirement. Silva's injury on the set of The Ultimate Fighter was initially reported as back injury by Dana White, who didn't think Silva could get licensed after the May 24 incident.