Toronto Still Likely For UFC 178, Montreal Event Moving To March
Posted by Joseph Lee on 06.28.2014
Some update on upcoming Canada shows...
MMA Junkie reports that UFC Managing Director of Operations in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, Tom Wright, said that Toronto is still being considered to host UFC 178: Jones vs Gustafsson II. However, a UFC card in Montreal will now happen in March. Montreal was previously rumored to be the site of UFC 181 on December 6.
He said: "We're still trying to figure out where 178 is going to be. A decision hasn't been made. I'm waiting to hear from (UFC executives) Lorenzo (Fertitta) and Dana (White) on that, and we'll probably find out next week because we obviously have some planning we have to do. In terms of Montreal, it's the same sort of thing. We're looking to most likely move that fight to March of 2015."
Both shows were announced in January but the UFC is now changing those plans. Wright said that they are not because of any problems with the market, but simply due to operational decisions. UFC President Dana White has said that UFC 178 could also be in Las Vegas or Sweden. It features the main event of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC) vs Alexander Gustafsson (16-2 MMA, 8-2 UFC). Wright said Toronto is still a contender and an announcement will happen soon. The show is scheduled for September 27.
There wasn't a reason given for the rescheduling of UFC 181, but it's possible that it could be to allow a spot for Montreal native Georges St-Pierre(25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC), who tore his ACL in March. He's been out of action since his win over Johny Hendricks in November. He gave up the welterweight title at the time to focus on personal matters.