411 Games Top 5 12.28.13: The Top 5 Most Anticipated Games of 2014
Posted by Sean Garmer on 12.28.2013
From EA Sports UFC and Watch Dogs to Infamous: Second Son, Super Smash Bros., The Elder Scrolls Online and more, the 411 staff counts down the top 5 most anticipated games of 2014!
Hello everyone, I hope it has been a good week for all the readers out there. It is time to see what are some of the most anticipated video games of 2014.
This week the 411 staff was asked to give out lists for their Top 5 Most Anticipated Games of 2014
Stephen Randle (Games Zone Reviewer, Quizmaster for the Four Player Co-op, Host of "Cooperative Multiplayer" The Official 411 Games Podcast, Writer of the Wrestling News Experience)
5. The Order: 1886 - I don't know much of anything about what this game is, all I know is that the teaser trailer showed the Knights of the Round Table fighting monsters in gothic London. At that point, I really had everything I needed to know.
4. The Crew - There's always a driving game that tries to drag me back into the genre, ultimately to fail because I suck at driving games. The Crew is the latest one, as I was really into the group-based mission setup similar to a Fast and Furious movie, and the concept of "driving across America". Hopefully the delay isn't for too long.
3. inFamous: Second Son - Hey, a game that we actually know when it's coming out! I liked the first inFamous, and this one looks like a lot of fun. Plus, the story looks a lot better than the original scripts.
2. Tom Clancy's The Division - This game kind of got pushed aside in the hype for AC IV and Watch_Dogs, but what has been revealed set the stage for an intriguing post-apocalyptic game with random look, a massive open world, the opportunity to play in groups with friends, and crazy realistically destructible scenery. I need to know more!
1. Watch_Dogs - This game is totally coming out eventually, and will deliver on all its promise, right? Right?
John Cash (Reader Voice, Occasionally Contributes to Four Player Co-op)
Honorable Mentions: Bravely Default, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. Both these games are already out everywhere but North America, both come out in February.
5. Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey -This may be a bit of a head scratcher to many of you, as Dreamfall hasn't been heard from since it's appearance on the original XBOX, though it was available for a time on-demand on the 360. For the uninitiated, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, and now Dreamfall Chapters are all third-person action games that take place in a universe where there are two Earths who live in parallel of one another; one Earth is dominated by science, and the other is dominated by magic. As you can imagine, the player gets to traverse these two Earths via "shifting", and get caught up in all kinds of hijinks and puzzles. It is currently slated for Steam (PC/Mac/Linux) and Wii U in November, but it would be great if this series could get a boost and be released on XBO and PS4 as well. A very under-rated series that I am excited to see can come back to life thanks to Steam.
4. Bayonetta 2 -I love Bayonetta; it's insane. It is SO over-the-top, and SO indulgent. Shock of all shocks to know that not only will the sequel be a Wii U exclusive (for now... looking at you, Rayman...), but also the fact that one of the producers at the lovely Platinum Games came right out and said in reaction to complaints from fans of the series, that Bayonetta 2 would not exist if Nintendo hadn't partnered with them to make it. It would be very nice to see this become a killer app for the Wii U, a game that you just HAVE to buy a Wii U to experience.
3. The Elder Scrolls Online -I'm not going to say that this is for a fact going to be a WoW killer, but I really, really hope it is, for it's own sake and for all the Blizzard employees that have probably been wanting to make a new game for six years now. I am one of the people that Skyrim drew in to become and Elder Scrolls fan. I found Oblivion to be not only boring but visually unappealing, whereas Skyrim manages to have several environments that somehow all blend together quite well on top of having a new quest to pick up literally at every corner. As someone who also played Lord of the Rings Online for a while, I am hoping that they can work out a much better price range for their micro-transactions.
2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS -I will never not be excited for a new Smash game, I think. Before I even saw any gameplay of her in the most recent Smash trailer that revealed Princess Rosalina (of Super Mario Galaxy) as a new challenger, I was marking out. I really think the key thing here will be the 3DS version. They are going to sell SO many copies of the 3DS version, you have to wonder how much of a MUST BUY the Wii U and the WIi U version will be this generation. I know some people are upset at the lack of a single player adventure, and I suppose I will miss the bosses and the cutscenes that we got with Subspace Emissary in Brawl, but I think it will be for the best. Playing Smash for single player is like playing Call of Duty games for the single player. Also the fact that there is a petition up right now that if it reaches 100,000 signatures, Game Director Masahiro Sakurai will consider adding Nintendo of America President/COO and all around badass Reggie Fils-Aime as a playable fighter in the game, I mean, how can you not be looking forward to a NEW SMASH GAME?
1. Dragon Age: Inquisition -I was so stoked at E3 2013, when I saw the screen go to black, and a familiar voice said "I've seen more of this war than you can imagine," I knew immediately what it was. Familiar faces showed up, familiar themes were presented, and of course, Morrigan's return was definitely the highlight of E3 2013 for me. I am a BioWare addict, a BioDrone if you wish, to the point to where I'm buying terrible Mass Effect comics and copies of games I already own because they are just slightly different from the other copies. Dragon Age is pretty much my dream series; medieval fantasy, gore, blood, sex, fellowship, political intrigue, philosophical discussion. It's what Game of Thrones would be if all your favorite characters were still alive and were kicking ass. I will be pre-ordering the moment I hear it's available for pre-order. Collector's edition, obviously, and I look forward to playing it pretty much non-stop for three days like I did for Mass Effect 3.
Robert Cooper (Writer of the "Metal Hammer of Doom" News Report, Music Zone Reviewer, & Regular Contributor to "Cooperative Multiplayer" The Official Podcast of 411 Games)
5.Thief The reboot of the classic cult series is something that I have been looking forwards to for the past few years. I feel like a possibly good entry into the stealth genre is always something I look forwards to.
4.Dark Souls 2 While I've yet to get to play the two original games, I enjoy a challenge in gaming, and if the reputation for this series is correct, I'm in for some fun.
3.EA Sports UFC I love the UFC and found UFC 3 to be a very good game that fixed most of its' predecessors issues. Now that its' license is owned by EA, I'm intrigued to see what they do, and hope and pray that it's better than EA MMA.
2.Watch Dogs They're promising a great game, and so far, it looks great, here's to hoping we have some honesty in game developing for once!
1. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 This is probably the least surprising pick on anyones' list, considering I'm now borderline obsessed with this franchise. I have good reason for salivating the release of this game. It's continuing the epic story of the Lords of Shadow, and giving us an expanded, less linear world, as well as a rebuilt engine that looks to be less reliant on QTEs. Not to mention you get to play as Dracula, the end of February can't come fast enough.
Wrestling 2 the MAX Podcast. Go listen to episode 70 and tell us what you think at email@example.com this week we had to record the show a day earlier than usual, so we missed RAW, but instead, we reviewed WWE SmackDown, TNA IMPACT, and NXT. We also gave out our nominations for the Wrestling 2 the MAX 2013 Awards and gave out our Christmas Wishlists for what we would like to see WWE and TNA improve upon in 2014.
If you are a fan of W2M make sure to listen live on Monday Nights at Midnight ET on Spreaker.com And you can always call-in at (972)-591-8620 And make sure you join our ever growing facebook group as well. W2M Facebook
If you don't listen to the Official 411 Games Podcast "Cooperative Multiplayer" you should because Stephen Randle hosts a panel of 411 Games Zone staffers discussing games they've played, the gaming news of the week, and just having a lot of fun too. Here is this week's episode…