411 Games Top 5 6.07.14: Top 5 Anticipated E3 Announcements
Posted by Sean Garmer on 06.07.2014
From a new Star Wars game reveal and an update on Last Guardian to more information about Project Morpheus, a new Star Fox Wii U game and more, the 411 staff counts down their top 5 anticipated E3 announcements!
Hello everyone, I hope it has been a good week for all the readers out there. Who's ready for E3 2014?
Since E3 is on the horizon, I figured it would be interesting to know what everyone was hyped for at E3 2014. So, this is the Top 5 Anticipated E3 2014 Announcements
Daniel Anderson (Games Fact or Fiction Organizer, Regular Contributor to the Official 411 Games Podcast "Cooperative Multiplayer")
5.Next Gen Games The new gen consoles are pretty bare right now when it comes to games. A lot of the games we were promised at last year's E3 have been pushed back to next year. I understand how that can happen with a new console, but I want new games. I want to see what studios are doing with all this new technology. This hope leads to the next item on my list...
4.Gameplay next gen games - Let's face it, last year's E3 gave us some good game announcements, but many of them were short on gameplay. That trend seems to have continued into this year, as recently as the Mortal Kombat X reveal trailer which was not gameplay footage. I understand why we do not get a lot of gameplay in the early trailers, but I really want to see more gameplay for announced games.
3. VR Gaming - I have been eagerly following the news about the Occulus Rift for a while now. I think VR gaming can be successful as long as it is used for the right type of games (racing and flight sim games for example). We have gotten some games announced for the Rift, but I want to see more. I want to see exactly what games are going to support the headsets, and also, maybe get some idea of how much a headset will cost a consumer so I know if this will just be a fad, or a successful option for playing certain games.
2.E3 Surprises - I enjoy big surprise game announcements. Last year, for example, we were given announcements of a new Halo, Order 1888, Quantum Break, new Kingdom Hearts, and many other games. In some cases, we have gotten more info about these games, and in other cases we haven't heard much about them. That is fine. E3 is for big announcements, and I hope to hear some more. I want to see what God of War developers have been working on (those not laid off), I want to see what Rockstar is going to announce as a new release (if we get that), Bethesda as well, and find out just what new AAA games are being worked on. The surprise is one of my favorite things about E3, and I can't wait to see what we get surprised with this year.
1.Star Wars - We know EA is working on new Star Wars games. Other than Battlefront though, we do not know what the other Star Wars games are. Shooter, flight sim (please let us get a new X-wing vs TIE Fighter game), strategy game, or RPG, I do not care, I just want to know what is coming. EA has a chance to repair some of its worst company reputation if they make Star Wars fans happy with good games, and I want to see just what is in store for us.
John Cash (Reader Voice, Occasional Contributor to Four Player Co-op)
5. Last Guardian Update: I know, I know, this is the second week in a row I've mentioned this game, but I really, REALLY want this game to come out. That last information we got about it was from the director of the studio saying that they were focusing resources towards making the underwhelming PS4 exclusive launch title KNACK. It would be really nice to hear literally anything about this game, even if they actually announce that it's canceled, it's better than not hearing anything at all.
4. Something That WIll Make Me Want an XBOX One over a PlayStation 4: There are very few things that could actually make me want an Xbone over a PS4 at the moment. A true sequel to Banjo-Tooie. Partnering with SEGA to make Shenmue III. Uh... $200 price drop... XBL becoming free for everyone... Just something. It would be nice to even think that there is a reason to even have to decide between the two.
3. New IP from Nintendo: It feels like the last big IP they premiered at E3 was PIKMIN, and that's been over a decade ago, so it's time for Nintendo to bring something new to the table. This is going to fly in the face of my #2 spot on this list, but they need something compelling and refreshing to make it seem like a Wii U is a must buy this year if they want to survive into the next console generation.
2. New Star Fox Wii U game: Yeah, okay, Nintendo relies too much on their tried-and-true franchises, but if they want to make guaranteed money, I feel like a return to form for Star Fox is just the thing they need. Imagine having the typical third-person view on the TV, and then a cockpit view on the Wii U gamepad. Imagine being able to command your squad by pushing buttons on your gamepad and then seeing them pull off team maneuvers to take out enemies. Imagine multiplayer where someone steers the ship with the remote while watching the tv and you get to shoot at enemies while looking at the gamepad, like jumping in a turret in Star Wars.
1. Any New Information from BioWare: I am an unapologetic mark for this company. I am hyper-excited from Dragon Age: Inquisition, it would be great to find out something new about that game before it comes out later this year. I'm looking forward to a new story in the Mass Effect universe, and it seems like we will at least be getting a tease of some kind of the fourth game in the franchise at this year's E3. What I would really really REALLY like to hear about is their new IP that, besides the fact that it exists, we know nothing about. There were murmurs of making Mass Effect 3 have FPS sections for a while, so it's entirely possible they are working on shooter game. I would like to see BioWare take on an Old West style game, or a modern era game as well. Just as long as they don't have to delay DA Inquisition any longer, just about anything they have to say will be music to my ears probably.
Todd Vote (Games Zone Reviewer, Regular Contributor to Four Player Co-op)
5.Mortal Kombat X game play - I know that the initial trailer was probably not game play footage. But wouldn't it be amazing if it was? We will see game play footage at E3. Also, Ed Boon has stated we will get a glimpse of two brand new MK kombatants. Can't wait to see that, as it has been a long time since MK has introduced a new character. Also, a few details about where the story is heading.
4.One more round - I am hoping that the PS3, and the Xbox 360 will not be ignored at the show. Perhaps a couple more games to be released for either one. Not down-ports of new games, but a couple that are actually being built for the previous generation of consoles. Sort of one last hurrah.
3. What is all this VR hubbub about - Okay, I admit it. I'm still not at all sold on adding VR to console gaming. But by all means, use E3 to show us all what it can do, and how it can add to our experience. This is the time to sell us on new hardware. Just don't let it be another kinect or eye toy.
2.Killer Instinct Season 2 - Perhaps we will get an announcement about everybody's favorite fighting game. Season one turned out okay, may as well give us some of what you have in store for the future of the franchise.
1.Franchise Resurrections. -With each new console generation, one thing we have gotten used to has been franchise resurrections. With the PS3,and the 360, we saw 2D Sonic given a chance to shine. Mega Man came back in a bit of an 8-bit return. Turtles, Duck Tales, even Mickey Mouse has been given an HD remake of a classic game. I have no idea what franchise we could hope would get brought back to the land of the living. There are lots to choose from. Personally, I would love to see Rampage brought back to life. I know there is only so much you can do with giant monsters smashing buildings, but can you imagine how cool they could make it look on the PS4, or the XBOne?
Wrestling 2 the MAX Podcast. Go listen to Episode 93 and tell us what you think at firstname.lastname@example.org this week. This week, we review WWE Payback 2014, WWE RAW, TNA IMPACT, we discuss a potential card for Money in the Bank 2014, and discuss Total Divas Season 2 Finale too.
If you are a fan of W2M make sure to listen live on Monday Nights at Midnight ET on Spreaker.com And you can always call-in at (972)-591-8636 And make sure you join our ever growing facebook group as well. W2M Facebook
If you don't listen to the Official 411 Games Podcast "Cooperative Multiplayer" you should! Robert Cooper, Daniel Anderson, and I, discuss the games we've played this week, the gaming news of the week, and just have a lot of fun too. Here is this week's episode…
Games Coming Out the Week of 06/08/14
Enemy Front (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
How To Train Your Dragon 2: Movie Game (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Wii, 3DS)