NBA 2K13 Leads October NPD
Posted by Adam Larck on 11.08.2012
Games continue downward sales trend.
The year-over-year downward spiral for the games industry has continued according to the NPD.
The group states that the industry made $755.5 million for the month ending Oct. 27. Last year, the industry earned $1 billion during the month.
"While we saw declines in hardware unit sales across all platforms year-over-year, when looking at average sales per week versus September, several consoles realized higher sales: The 360, PS3, NDS and 3DS. This is a sign of increasing momentum as we move into the holiday season," NPD Group analyst Liam Callahan said.
Hardware sales earned $187.3 million, with the 360 being the top-selling platform with a 40 percent market share.
Accessories did increase 5 percent from last year, finishing with $135.6 million. Leading the way here were Skylanders toys, with Skylanders Giants taking 10th on the monthly games list, and digital currency gift cards.
Software sales finished at $432.6 million, over $100 million down from last year's $576.8 million. However, last year's month also had multiple huge multi-platform releases, including Battlefied 3 and Batman: Arkham City.
Leading the top 10 list was NBA 2K13, which outsold last year's title by 60 percent. Resident Evil 6 grabbed second, and the two Pokémon games took third and fifth.
The full list is below.
1. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PC)
2. Resident Evil 6 (360, PS3)
3. Pokémon Black Version 2 (NDS)
4. Dishonored (360, PS3, PC)
5. Pokémon White Version 2 (NDS)
6. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV)
7. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, 3DS, PSP)
8. Medal of Honor: Warfighter (360, PS3, PC)
9. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
10. Skylander Giants (Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS)