The Big Screen Bulletin 10.14.13: Gravity On Top of the World a Second Week!
Posted by Steve Gustafson on 10.14.2013
News and thoughts on Warner Bros. rejecting a pitch for a Wonder Woman movie, Harrison Ford discussing his future roles in Star Wars and Indiana Jones 5, a new featurette for Thor: The Dark World and more!
Welcome to the Big Screen Bulletin! My name is Steve Gustafson and this is where we hit the big movie news from the weekend and anything else going on in the world of Hollywood!
For some additional reading you can check out my interview with Playboy's Miss August, Val Keil! Then peep my interview with one of the coolest dudes in Hollywood Ari Gold! Want more? OK. Read my review for American Courtesans!
1. Gravity - $44.3 million ($123.4 million total) READ THE REVIEW!
2. Captain Phillips - $26 million ($26 million total)
3. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 - $14.2 million ($78 million total)
4. Machete Kills - $3.8 million ($3.8 million total) READ THE REVIEW!
5. Runner Runner - $3.7 million ($14.1 million total) READ THE REVIEW!
6. Prisoners - $3.7 million ($76.2 million total) READ THE REVIEW!
7. Insidious Part 2 - $2.7 million ($78.4 million total) READ THE REVIEW!
8. Rush - $2.4 million ($22.2 million total) READ THE REVIEW!
9. Don Jon - $2.3 million ($20.1 million total) READ THE REVIEW!
10. Baggage Claim - $2.1 million ($18.3 million total)
Box Office Survey!
Instead of me just repeating what you can see, how about we ask some questions about the weekend box office? Answer in the comments!
* Why did Machete Kills fall flat in the theater?
* Will there be a Gravity spin-off?
So a video of TMZ talking to Jennifer Tilly about who was going to die next season on The Simpsons. Tilly is close friends with the show's co-creator, Sam Simon, and according to Tilly, the person rumored to be getting killed next season is longtime recurring cast member, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.
Las Vegas is also said to be taking odds on the character death, with Sideshow Bob being the favorite, followed by Penelope Owsley, Krusty, and Grandpa Abe.
My question (and if you think it's going to be someone else, say so in the comments):
Casting of the Week!
Coming Soon reported that Charlie Hunnam has dropped out of his role in Universal Pictures and Focus Features' adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey. The studio said in a statement: "The filmmakers of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and Charlie Hunnam have agreed to find another male lead given Hunnam's busy TV schedule which is not allowing him time to adequately prepare for the role of Christian Grey."
He was set to star with Dakota Johnson and Jennifer Ehle in the film, which has an August 1, 2014 release date. The film will be directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson from a script by Kelly Marcel (based on E.L. James bestselling book). Michael De Luca and Dana Brunetti are producing with James.
Universal and Focus acquired the rights to the trilogy in March of last year. Focus will market and distribute the first film with Universal. The book trilogy has been translated in over fifty languages worldwide and has sole over seventy million copies in e-book and print worldwide, one of the fastest-selling book series ever.
According to http://hollywoodlife.com, there is more to Hunnam pulling out of the film. A source had the following to say about the situation:
"Charlie got cold feet. He wanted to get out of the movie because he was feeling like it would be his version of Showgirls and he didn't want to be remembered for that. Nor is Charlie ready for the celebrity he would receive if the movie worked out. Add that with the studio execs being highly disappointed by the reaction to the casting, they wanted to start over with a clean slate."
Speaking to IGN, director Paul Feig revealed that he made a pitch to Warner Bros. for a Wonder Woman movie. Wow. This is a hot property! Feig's film reportedly would've had a light action-comedy tone and would involve a Wonder Woman who "keeps hitting the glass ceiling" of the superhero world. Diana of Themyscira would have to contend with male heroes like Batman and Superman who are said to not be as forward-thinking regarding their female counterpart as they should be. Feig compared his vision for the character to Cicely Hamilton (writer of the 1908 "feminist" play Diana of Dobson's).
Warner Bros. did not go for Feig's idea. Feig said in retrospect that he can see why the concept didn't appeal to them since fans can be very protective of their characters and any changes made to them.
Star Wars! Jett Lucas recently did an interview where he confirmed that his dad, George Lucas, was working on the treatments to the Sequel Trilogy before Disney approached him for the sale. The guys over at Latino Review are reporting that during that time, it seems that George had two working titles for Star Wars: Episode VII that were competing in his mind: Return of the Sith and Rise of the Jedi. These working titles were turned over to the Disney Company through the sale, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that Disney will use these titles for the movie.
Star Wars: Episode VII will be an original story and not directly based on the various novels, graphic novels, or other materials in the Star Wars Expanded Universe that take place during the post-Return of the Jedi time period. Disney aims to continue the story that began back in 1977.
On to some casting news. People keep saying Benedict Cumberbatch is in Star Wars Episode VII and Cumberbatch's people keep saying no. Anyway, here's what some of the fuss is about. It's a clip from the Graham Norton show.
Speaking of Graham Norton'sGraham Norton Show, Harrison Ford said he'd still be up for doing a fifth Indiana Jones movie. When asked if he would do Indiana Jones 5, Ford Said "in a New York minute." He added, "I don't think there is any barrier to Indiana Jones being an old fart…I'm old enough that we don't need Connery anymore. I'm old enough to play my own father!"
George Lucas last discussed a potential fifth film in the franchise in 2011, saying a story was in place, but the film still needed some type of MacGuffin.
Now onto Star Wars. It has long been assumed that Ford will reprise his role as Han Solo in J.J. Abrams'Star Wars: Episode VII, but that's not set in stone. In the same interview, Ford said he had "not quite made the choice" to play Solo again. Ford has been careful to not confirm his involvement in Episode VII, but he did tell WGN TV in March that things were getting close. "I think it's almost true," he said of a possible Star Wars return, which was first reported back in February. "I'm looking forward to it. It's not in the bag yet, but I think it'll happen."
Last, he addressed his possible involvement in Ridley Scott's planned Blade Runner sequel in a recent interview with IGN. The short answer: "Yeah, we've been chatting about it."
"I truly admire Ridley as a man and as a director," he added. "I would be very happy to engage again with him in the further telling of this story." Ford starred in 1982′s Blade Runner as the replicant-hunting Deckard. Now a cult classic, the film was embroiled in creative conflict between Scott and Warner Bros. during its production and initial release. Ford famously fought against providing voiceover narration, a battle he lost. "That was a big part of the issue," he said. "I didn't think it was necessary, and Ridley didn't think it was necessary. That came from the studio."
Looks like Ford is looking to back to the well across the board. Which are you most excited for him to reprise?
Batman and Quentin!
In a recent interview with Les Inrocks, Quentin Tarantino revealed that he doesn't think Batman is an interesting character. He also defended his naming The Lone Ranger one of the best films of 2013. Below are some highlights:
Tarantino on the casting of Ben Affleck as Batman and his thoughts on the character: "I have to admit that I don't really have an opinion. Why? Because Batman is not a very interesting character. For any actor. There is simply not much to play. I think Michael Keaton did it the best, and I wish good luck to Ben Affleck. But, you know who would have made a great Batman? Alec Baldwin in the '80s."
His defense of The Lone Ranger: "The first forty-five minutes are excellent ... [but] the next forty-five minutes are a little soporific. It was a bad idea to split the bad guys in two groups; it takes hours to explain and nobody cares. Then comes the train scene -- incredible! When I saw it, I kept thinking, 'What, that's the film that everybody says is crap? Seriously?' That being said, I still have a little problem with the film. I like Tonto's backstory -- the idea that his tribe got slaughtered because of him; that's a real comic-book thing. But the slaughter of the tribe, by gunfire, from the cavalry, it left a bitter taste in my mouth. ... The Indians have really been victims of a genocide. So slaughtering them again in an entertaining movie, Buster Keaton style… That ruined the fun a bit for me. I simply found it…ugly."
Here is the first full trailer for Renny Harlin'sHercules: The Legend Begins. The film (NOT THE ONE STARRING THE ROCK) stars Kellan Lutz, Scott Adkins, Liam McIntyre, Liam Garrigan, Johnathon Schaech, Roxanne McKee, Gaia Weiss and Rade Serbedzija and opens in March.
In Ancient Greece 1200 B.C., a queen succumbs to the lust of Zeus to bear a son promised to overthrow the tyrannical rule of the king and restore peace to a land in hardship. But this prince, Hercules, knows nothing of his real identity or his destiny. He desires only one thing: the love of Hebe, Princess of Crete, who has been promised to his own brother. When Hercules learns of his greater purpose, he must choose: to flee with his true love or to fulfill his destiny and become the true hero of his time. The story behind one of the greatest myths is revealed in this action-packed epic - a tale of love, sacrifice and the strength of the human spirit.
If you thought the stars of Jackass had to be high in order to perform, you're not too far off. At least in the case of Johnny Knoxville, who recently revealed he was spiked with Ecstasy during filming. "We were filming a promo for Bad Grandpa at a frat house in Arizona," Knoxville told The Sun. "I was dressed as Irving and was sitting in the audience with the students, and people kept handing me drinks and someone dosed me with Ecstasy. About 30 minutes into the screening, my heart starts racing and I'm like, 'I am X-ing right now, someone dosed me.' I was so happy because I haven't done X since my 20s. For the rest of the shoot I was just a train wreck, and we got a lot of funny stuff."
Knoxville did sustain an injury during the drug-induced shoot, however. He went on to say he ruptured a tendon in his finger "either bursting through a table or climbing up a net."
Here is a new Loki featurette for Thor: The Dark World. The film opens on November 8th and stars Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Idris Elba, Christopher Eccleston, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Kat Dennings, Ray Stevenson, Zachary Levi, Tadanobu Asano, Jaimie Alexander, Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins.
Thor: The Dark World continues the big-screen adventures of Thor, the Mighty Avenger, as he battles to save Earth and all the Nine Realms from a shadowy enemy that predates the universe itself. In the aftermath of Marvel's Thor and Marvel's The Avengers, Thor fights to restore order across the cosmos...but an ancient race led by the vengeful Malekith returns to plunge the universe back into darkness. Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.
What do you think?
Before I say GOODBYE!
Are you a fan of 411mania on Facebook? Keep up-to-date on news and contests!