[Movies] Les Miserables and Django Unchained Open Huge on Christmas Day
Posted by Jeremy Thomas on 12.25.2012
Both films are looking to be big...
Les Miserables and Django Unchained are off to one hell of a start with their Christmas Day openings. According to Deadline the two films are opening at #1 and #2, respectively, based on early estimates and pre-sales numbers. Les Miserables is looking at a possible $15 million to $20 million, well above the $10 million-plus that was expected, while Django Unchained is looking at $10 million to $13 million, which is huge for an R-rated film opening in a relatively moderate 3,010 theaters.
It is worth noting that these numbers could change, since Christmas Day tends to have a higher percentage of pre-sales. Other early estimates grosses for today are as follows:
* The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: $8 million to $10 million
* Jack Reacher: $4 million to $5 million
* This Is 40: $3.5 million to $4 million
* Lincoln: $3.5 million
* The Guilt Trip: $2.5 million
* The Silver Linings Playbook: $1.25 million to $1.5 million
* Paramount's Circle Du Soleil: Worlds Away: $1.25 million to $1.5 million
* Life Of Pi: $1.25 million to $1.5 million