[Movies] The Shawshank Redemption Voted Best Movie To Never Win Best Picture
Posted by Joseph Lee on 02.09.2013
The best of the snubs...
The Independent reports that The Shawshank Redemption has been voted the best film to not win Best Picture at the Academy Awards. The film starred Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman. It was nominated at the 1995 ceremony but lost to Forrest Gump.
The poll was conducted by Sky Movies Oscars HD, a new channel. Shawshank is followed by The Green Mile, which also lost. Both films were directed by Frank Darabont and based on stories by Stephen King.
Director of Sky Movies, Ian Lewis, said: "Arguably the most prestigious accolade in the film industry, competition is fierce when it comes to the Academy Award for best picture - and as we've found even some of the nation's best-loved movies of all time were pipped to the post in this category."
The new channel is being launched by Sky Movies on February 11 in the UK and will show Oscar winners 24-hours-a-day, as well as the live broadcast of this year's ceremony on February 24.
Here's the top ten films, with what actually won in parenthesis.
1. The Shawshank Redemption (lost out to Forrest Gump in 1995)
2. The Green Mile (lost out to American Beauty in 2000)
3. Avatar (lost out to The Hurt Locker in 2010)
4. Saving Private Ryan (lost out to Shakespeare In Love in 1999)
5. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial (lost out to Gandhi in 1983)
6. Star Wars (lost out to Annie Hall in 1978)
7. Mary Poppins (lost out to My Fair Lady in 1965)
8. Doctor Zhivago (lost out to The Sound of Music in 1966)
9. Pulp Fiction (lost out to Forrest Gump in 1995)
10. To Kill a Mockingbird (lost out to Lawrence of Arabia in 1963)