[Movies] Marvel Cinematic Universe the Highest-Domestic Grossing Franchise in History
Posted by Jeremy Thomas on 04.09.2014
Topping out Harry Potter and the rest...
The Marvel Cinematic Universe has officially become the highest-grossing franchise in history in terms of domestic gross. The film has, with Captain America: The Winter Soldier thus far, grossed $2.47 billion in North America. That puts it on top of the Harry Potter franchise for the #1 spot. Of course, that's mitigated a bit by the fact that the MCU is several mini-franchises, but it only has a one-film advantage over the J.K. Rowling-inspired series.
You can see the top 10 franchises below:
1. Marvel Cinematic Universe - $2.47 billion (9 films)
2. Harry Potter - $2.39 billion (8 films)
3. Star Wars - $1.92 billion (7 films)
4. James Bond Films - $1.91 billion (24 films)
5. Batman - $1.90 billion (8 films)
6. Lord of the Rings - 1.62 billion (6 films)
7. Shrek - $1.42 billion (5 films)
8. Spider-Man - $1.38 billion (4 films)
9. Twilight - $1.36 billion (5 films)
10. Pirates of the Caribbean - $1.28 billion (4 films)