Scanners Getting A Blu-ray Release From Criterion
Posted by Joseph Lee on 04.15.2014
Genre fans rejoice...
Shock Till You Drop reports that Criterion will finally bring David Cronenberg's 1981 film Scanners to Dual-Format Blu-ray/DVD on July 15. It will also have a new standard DVD release at that time. Cronenberg has approved the new edition.
Here's a list of the content:
- New, restored 2K digital film transfer, supervised by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- The "Scanners" Way, a new documentary on the film's special effects
- New interview with actor Michael Ironside
- The Ephemerol Diaries, a 2012 interview with actor and artist Stephen Lack
- Excerpt from a 1981 interview with Cronenberg on the CBC's The Bob McLean Show
- Stereo (1969), Cronenberg's first feature film
It will also feature a booklet with an essay by critic Kim Newman and a new cover by Connor Willumsen.
Scream Factory released a blu-ray combo pack of Scanners 2: The New Order and Scanners III: The Takeover last year, beating Criterion to the head explosion punch. The only two films in the series lacking a blu-ray release now are 1994's Scanner Cop and 1995's Scanners: The Showdown.