Warner Bros. Presents Into the Storm Panel at WonderCon
Posted by Jeremy Thomas on 04.20.2014
A look at the upcoming adventure-thriller...
CS.net has a report from WonderCon of Warner Bros.' panel for their upcoming film Into the Storm. The film stars Richard Armitage, Sarah Wayne Callies, Matt Walsh, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Arlen Escarpeta, Max Deacon, Nathan Kress, Jeremy Sumpter, Kyle Davis, Jon Reep and Scott Lawrence and opens on August 8th. Some highlights from the report are as follows:
* The panel included Armitage, Deacon, Sumpter and Escarpeta along with director Steven Quale and kicked off with an extended look at the recent trailer, which mostly consisted of destruction scenes including a fire tornado. The fire tornado was based on an actual situation where the air within a tornado can ignite.
* The cast said that the production involved a lot of acting in front of a 100 MPH wind machine which included people spraying freezing cold water, dirt, branches and other such items at them. Armitage joked, "We sobered up pretty quickly every morning."
* Quale described the style as a "handheld camera approach" but denied that the film was any sort of found footage project; rather, the look is a stylistic one that isn't integrated into the plot. Some of the actors who played cameramen have footage they recorded in-character that made it into the final cut.
* Armitage talked about his character, who has to find his son in the middle of the worst tornado disaster in history, and said he based the mindset on those he saw saving survivors from buildings destroyed during the Christchurch earthquake. He noted that he had only three days between finishing production on The Hobbit and beginning production on Into the Storm.
* Quale said he showed a nearly-finished version to James Cameron, who offered a "crucial change" to the ending. He didn't reveal what but said it was a "little prop."