HBO Signs Multi-Year Deal To Bring Content To Amazon Prime
Posted by Joseph Lee on 04.23.2014
A streaming service finally gets HBO...
Amazon has announced in a press release that it has signed a multi-year deal with HBO to bring HBO programming to Amazon Prime Instant Video. This will make Prime the exclusive online subscription home for HBO programs. In addition to past programs, previous seasons of shows like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep will be available around three years after airing on HBO. The first content will arrive on May 21. This is the first time that HBO has licensed its programming to an online-only subscription service. The programming will stay on all HBO platforms.
HBO GO will also be available on Fire TV with a launch scheduled for the end of the year. HBO GO is HBO's own streaming service offering access to over 1,700 titles including every episode of new and old HBO shows, along with HBO original films, miniseries, sports, documentaries, specials and movies.
Brad Beale, Director of Content Acquisition for Amazon, said: "HBO has produced some of the most groundbreaking, beloved and award-winning shows in television history, with more than 115 Emmys amongst the assortment of shows coming to Prime members next month. HBO original content is some of the most-popular across Amazon Instant Video—our customers love watching these shows. Now Prime members can enjoy a collection of great HBO shows on an unlimited basis, at no additional cost to their Prime membership."
Charles Schreger, President of Programming Sales for HBO, added: "Amazon has built a wonderful service—we are excited to have our programming made available to their vast customer base and believe the exposure will create new HBOsubscribers."
Glenn Whitehead, Executive Vice President of Business and Legal Affiars (who negotiated with Schreger for HBO), said: "As owners of our original programming, we have always sought to capitalize on that investment. Given our longstanding relationship with Amazon, we couldn't think of a better partner to entrust with this valuable collection. We're also excited to bring HBO GO to Amazon's Fire TV. The features like unified voice search will provide a compelling experience for HBO customers."
Here is a list of the content, according to the press release:
- All seasons of revered classics such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, and of recent favorites such as Eastbound & Down, Enlightenedand Flight of the Conchords
- Epic miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade's End
- Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood
- Hit original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don't Know Jack
- Pedigreed documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke
- Hilarious original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher