More Details On Why Edgar Wright Left The Production Of Ant-Man Posted by Joseph Lee on 05.28.2014
Could last minute script rewrites be the cause?
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Edgar Wright may have left the production of Marvel's Ant-Man due to last minute rewrites.
Even with Wright's departure, Marvel has claimed the film (which stars Paul Rudd) will be done by its July 17, 2015 release date. However, a source claims that Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will have a hard time getting the film together in time, as a director has not been found yet. On top of that, the film had been a project of Wright's for years. The film's key crew and heads of departments left when it was obvious production wouldn't start on July 28 as scheduled. Rudd is still involved and the crew positions will be filled soon.
Marvel has reportedly not been happy with Wright's version of the film for weeks. The project was set to begin on June 2 but was put on hold after Feige wanted revisions of the script by Wright and Joe Cornish. Wright had been willing to make the changes earlier in the process but the latest rewrites happened without his involvement and when he received Marvel's new version on the week of May 19, he left. He later took part in a joint statement announcing that he left "due to differences in their visions of the film."
Wright has been working on the project since 2006. Feige told MTV in 2013 that Wright's take on the material is "the only reason we're making the movie." A source said that the problem now is that Marvel "Marvel-izes" its projects, which leads to a formula that sometimes clashes with filmmakers.
The source said: "Kevin Feige [and his top lieutenants] run Marvel with a singularity of vision, but when you take a true auteur and throw him into the mix, this is what you get. They don't want you to speak up too much or have too much vision. People who have never worked there don't understand how they operate, but if you trust them, they have an amazing track record."