Report of Warner Bros. TV Comic-Con Panel - Gotham, Arrow, Constantine Posted by Jeremy Thomas on 07.27.2014
And The Flash...
SHH has a report of the Hall H panel at Comic-Con for Warner Bros. TV, specifically Gotham, Arrow, Constantine and The Flash. Check out the highlights:
* The pilots for The Flash and Gotham were screened. The site describes Gotham as "a very character-oriented police procedural with a heavy Se7en vibe about a city of decay with lots of hints about what it will eventually turn into." It is noted that it isn't a superhero tale and that the characters are "real and relatable," all fully fleshed-out from the start. Jada Pinkett Smith's Fish Mooney is called "a believable Gotham mob villain." Most of the pilot is focused on Gordon and that Ben McKenzie "does just fine" in the role. The Gotham pilot was described as by far the best of the three DC-based pilots.
* The producers are currently considering Gotham and Constantine as in a world of their own, but that they haven't ruled anything out if they come up with a good way to connect the shows.
* The various casts assembled and that they announced that Felicity will move from Arrow to The Flash in episode four. It was announced that Weather Wizard, who is featured in the pilot, will be back and that Gorilla Grodd and Reverse Flash will appear this season. They said that The Flash is intentionally brighter and more optimistic than Arrow, in part to differentiate them.
* Stephen Amell described Arrow season three as focusing on "Oliver deciding if he can be Oliver and Green Arrow at the same time, and the consequences of that decision." He added that he won't be called Green Arrow for quite a while, saying, "the series is about the journey he takes for him to become The Green Arrow."
* Ra's Al Ghul will be appearing (as previously revealed) and it was revealed that it ties directly into John Barrowman's return as Malcolm Merlyn. Barrowman said of his villain, "In his eyes he's just as big a hero as Oliver." He added that much of his story will be about he and Thea "having the most dysfunctional father/daughter relationship ever." Showrunner Greg Berlanti said, "A lot of what we've been doing the last three years has been leading up to this."
* It was officially announced that Ted Grant--aka Wildcast--will be appearing and getting in the way of Oliver and Laurel.
* In regard to The Flash, there was discussion about several crossovers between it and Arrow, though the first hasn't been shot yet. In regard to little drop-ins like the Blue Devil movie and Ferris Air, and said "never say never" in regard to actual appearances but said none were planned.
* The final discussion was about Constantine. David Goyer said he had his choice of any DC character he wanted for a show and picked Constanting because he was his favorite comic book character. Goyer and Matt Ryan, who plays the lead role, said that getting the tone right was important to them and discussed the difficulty of casting the role. Goyer said he wanted him to be played by a British actor, and looked only at "Brits, Aussie's and a few Kiwi's."
* It was noted that the Doctor Fate helmet cameo in the pilot may be more than just that, and that more classic Constantine characters like Zed and Papa Midnight will show up. (Zed has already been cast via Angelica Celaya.)