Pearl Jam's Ten Reaches Ten Million Copies Sold
Posted by Joseph Lee on 02.20.2013
In 21 years...
Pearl Jam's debut album Ten is old enough to drink, and today there is reason to celebrate. Billboard reports that the album has officially hit the ten million albums sold mark for the US. The album was originally released in 1991 through Epic Records and is now the 22nd album to hit the mark since 1991, when Nielsen began tracking data.
Just this past week it sold almost 4,000 copies (up 159%) to bring it's total to about 1,000 over 10 million.
It's the fourth album to hit ten million since the start of 2012 after Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, Usher's Confessions and Adele's 21. It's the fifteenth best-selling album of the SoundScan era with 10.4 million sold. It is about 186,000 copies behind Britney Spears' Baby One More Time, which is in 14th place.
It will be some time before another album hits ten million sold. The next closest, Celine Dion's Let's Talk About Love, is 400,000 copies away as it has sold about 9.6 million. It is selling below 1,000 copies a week.
The highest selling album since 1991 is Metallica's self-titled release, which has sold 15.86 million. Shania Twain's Come On Over is in second with 15.53 million and in third is Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill with 14.82 million.
They are followed by the Backstreet Boys' Millennium (12.21 million), the Beatles' 1 (12.16 million), The Bodyguard soundtrack (12.06 million), Santana's Supernatural (11.73 million), Creed's Human Clay (11.64 million), Bob Marley and the Wailers' Legend (11.26 million) and 'N Sync's No Strings Attached (11.14 million) in the top ten.
Here's a list of the highest-selling artists (Artist, Title (Year of Release), Time To 10 Million)
1. Metallica, Metallica (1991), 337 weeks
2. Shania Twain, Come On Over (1997), 96 weeks
3. Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill (1995) , 66 weeks
4. Backstreet Boys, Millennium (1999) , 39 weeks
5. The Beatles, 1 (2000) , 227 weeks
6. Whitney Houston/Soundtrack, The Bodyguard (1992) , 72 weeks
7. Santana, Supernatural (1999) , 60 weeks
8. Creed, Human Clay (1999) , 93 weeks
9. Bob Marley & the Wailers, Legend (1984), 18 years
10. *NSYNC, No Strings Attached (2000) , 43 weeks
11. Norah Jones, Come Away With Me (2002) , 259 weeks
12. Celine Dion, Falling Into You (1996) , 160 weeks
13. Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP (2000) , 343 weeks
14. Britney Spears, . . . Baby One More Time (1999) , 106 weeks
15. Hootie & the Blowfish, Cracked Rear View (1994) , 442 weeks
16. Soundtrack, Titanic (1997) , 263 weeks
17. Backstreet Boys, Backstreet Boys (1997), 226 weeks
18. Eminem, The Eminem Show (2002) , 489 weeks
19. Usher, Confessions (2004) , 433 weeks
20. Linkin Park, Hybrid Theory (2000) , 617 weeks
21. Adele, 21 (2011), 92 weeks
22. Pearl Jam, Ten (1991), 21 years