Miley Cyrus a Finalist For Time's Person of the Year
Posted by Jeremy Thomas on 12.09.2013
She's in the list of ten finalists...
Miley Cyrus is a finalist for Time Magazine's Person of the Year. Time has released the list of the ten finalists, who are as follows:
* Bashar Assad, President of Syria
* Jeff Bezos, Amazon Founder
* Ted Cruz, Texas Senator
* Miley Cyrus, Singer
* Pope Francis, Leader of the Catholic Church
* Barack Obama, President of the United States
* Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran
* Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary of Health and Human Services
* Edward Snowden, N.S.A. Leaker
* Edith Windsor, Gay rights activist
Cyrus nearly won the online vote for the award, which recognizes the person who most influenced the news for better or worse. It was reported that two hackers were trying to rig the vote for her. Either way she did not win, coming in third behind Egypt's Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Time managing editor Nancy Gibbs said on Today of Cyrus' finalist status: "Power is not just political. It can be cultural. It can be spiritual. She came in like a wrecking ball … the most watched video of the year and at a time when we are living with an explosion of exhibitionism, since we all now carry cameras with us at all times, she is a symbol."