Pharrell, Karen O and U2 Get Oscar Nominations
Posted by Joseph Lee on 01.16.2014
A look at the music side...
Billboard reports that U2, Pharrell Williams and Karen O are just some of the musicians who have been nominated for Academy Awards this year, the 86th year for the ceremony.
U2 and Danger Mouse's song "Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (which won a Golden Globe) joins Karen O's "The Moon Song," from Her and Williams' "Happy" from Despicable Me 2. Idina Menzel's "Let It Go" from Frozen receieved a nomination for Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez. The fifth song is from a Christian film called Alone Yet Not Alone. It's the title song of the film with Bruce Broughton providing the music, Dennis Spiegel writing the lyrics and Joni Eareckson Tada singing in the film.
U2 was previosuly nominated for Best Original Song in 2002 for Gangs of New York's "The Hands That Built America", which lost to Eminem's "Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile. This is the first time that Karen O and Williams have been nominated for Best Original Song. At last year's event, Adele and Paul Epworth won for "Skyfall".
Some of the high-profile songs not included in the nominations include Coldplay's "Atlas" from The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Taylor Swift's "Sweeter Than Fiction" from One Chance and Ed Sheeran's "I See Fire" from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Five songs from Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby, including Lana Del Rey's "Young and Beautiful" and Jay Z's "100 $ Bill", were also snubbed.
On the score side of the music awards, Arcade Fire's William Butler and Owen Pallett (formerly known as Final Fantasy) are nominated for Her. They're up against John Williams for The Book Thief, Steven Price for Gravity, Alexandre Desplat for Philomena and Thomas Newman for Saving Mr. Banks.
Twenty Feet From Stardom, the documentary from Morgan Neville on backup singers, has been nominated for Best Documentary Feature. Jared Leto earned a nomination for Best Supporting Actor in Dallas Buyers Club, which he won a Golden Globe for last Sunday.
Here are the nominees for Best Original Song and Best Original Score:
Best Original Song:
- "Alone Yet Not Alone," Alone Yet Not Alone; music by Bruce Broughton, lyrics by Dennis Spiegel
- "Happy," Despicable Me 2; music and lyrics by Pharrell Williams
- "Let It Go," Frozen; music and lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
- "The Moon Song," Her; music by Karen O., lyrics by Karen O. and Spike Jonze
- "Ordinary Love," Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; music by Paul Hewson, Dan Evans, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen, a.k.a. U2; lyrics by Paul Hewson, a.k.a. Bono
Best Original Score:
- John Williams, The Book Thief
- Steven Price, Gravity
- William Butler and Owen Pallett, Her
- Alexandre Desplat, Philomena
- Thomas Newman, Saving Mr. Banks