Tyler the Creator's Attorney Says He Didn't Cause A Riot At SXSW
Posted by Joseph Lee on 03.20.2014
An attorney for Tyler the Creator, Perry Q. Minton, released a statement this morning to The Associated Press (via Billboard), stating that Tyler the Creator didn't cause a riot at South by Southwest last week and would not put fans in danger on purpose. According to Minton, the events that led to his arrest on March 13 at the Scoot Inn in Austin, Texas were not a riot.
Minton wrote: "At no time during the ... concert did Tyler seek to incite or participate in riotous activity as has been reported in the press. It is clear from video clips and witness reports that the patrons and fans attending the show on that date were full of positive energy appropriate for this type of event and never exhibited any anger or aggression whatsoever."
Tyler was arrested on Saturday on a warrant as he left Austin for a show he was supposed to be at in Dallas later that night. He was charged with misdemeanor riot and posted a $25,000 bond. Police claim he caused the fans to riot at an unofficial day party and told them to storm the entrance of the club he performed at. He faces up to a year in prison and a $4,000 fine if he's found guilty. Minton said that police are exaggerating the crime, even though a video shows fans pushing through the gate of a club that was already full.
Minton added: "For law enforcement or the media to describe the rush of fans through the gate and the subsequent benign, boisterous activity as a riot is an unfortunate and inaccurate description of what occurred."
Tyler did not apologize. Minton said that Tyler (real name Tyler Gregory Okonma) "fully appreciates" the need to protect fans and provide security at large events and didn't want to "disrupt that mission."
Minton wrote: "Tyler is not a violent individual and would never deliberately engage in any activity that would put another person at risk of being hurt."