Chris Brown Assault Case Moving Ahead, Judge Refuses To Dismiss
Posted by Joseph Lee on 04.08.2014
Bad news for Brown...
Billboard reports that Chris Brown's assault case is now moving forward after a judge in Washington denied a request to dismiss it yesterday. Lawyers claimed it should be dismissed because prosecutors allegedly abused the grand jury process to prepare for trial. Brown's lawyer Mark Geragos said the prosecutors used the jury to "freeze" the testimony of the victim. The victim claims Brown and his bodyguard punched him outside of a Washington hotel in October. Gragos said the incident was "the most investigated misdemeanor of all time."
Judge Patricia Wynn agreed with prosecutors that they had the right to use the jury to determine how strong of a case they had. She said: "I am persuaded that there was no abuse."
She ordered that Brown and his bodyguard Christopher Hollosy will be tried separately. Hollosy will begin trial on April 17 while Brown will start when Hollosy's ends. Both cases will be decided by a judge. Hollosy will testify during Brown's trial that he is the one who hit the man when he tried to get on Brown's tour bus. Prosecutors claim Brown first hit the man when he tried to get in a photo Brown was taking with two women. Then Hollosy hit him as well. The man they are accused of hitting was treated for a fractured nose along with injuries to his face and head.
At the time, Brown was on probation for his 2009 attack on Rihanna, who was his girlfriend at the time. After the arrest in Washington he went to rehab for anger management but was put in jail last month for violating the facility's rules. If he is convicted, he could face potential jail time due to his prior case. Brown and Hollosy were not in court yesterday. The US Marshals Service, which is taking Brown to the area for his trial, said he is now being held at a Washington area building.