Arctic Monkeys' AM Is The Top Selling UK Vinyl Album Of 2014 So Far
Posted by Joseph Lee on 04.19.2014
The first quarter of the year is up...
The official UK Charts Company has revealed the top twenty highest-selling vinyl albums of 2014 so far, with the first quarter of the year now over. Arctic Monkeys' AM is at #1. The band's fifth album was released in September and has still sold a large number of albums, partially thanks to winning Band of the Year and Album of the Year at the BRIT Awards in February. It is also the highest-selling album in independent record stores in the UK.
At #2 is Mogwai's Rave Tapes, which is also the highest-selling vinyl album of the year to actually be released this year.
As a result of the success of vinyl this year, this is the best start in over a decade for the format. Last year, only 790,000 vinyl albums sold in the UK. 2014 already has a third of that after fifteen weeks. It's currently set to sell around 900,000 for the year. The sales are up even before today's Record Store Day celebrations, which will increase the amount. 240 independent record stores in the UK will sell over 600 vinyl and CD releases from artists like One Direction, Elbow, Damon Albarn, Green Day, Jake Bugg, Paul Weller, Nirvana, David Bowie and Nile Rodgers.
Here's the top 20:
1. Arctic Monkeys - AM
2. Mogwai - Rave Tapes
3. Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes
4. Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything
5. Warpaint - Warpaint
6. Kylie Mingoue - Kiss Me Once
7. Temples - Sun Structures
8. Metronomy - Love Letters
9. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long See You Tomorrow
10. Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey - Going Back Home
11. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am That's What I Am
12. Beck - Morning Phase
13. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
14. Wild Beasts - Present Tense
15. War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream
16. London Grammar - If You Wait
17. You Me At Six - Cavalier Youth
18. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
19. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
20. Real Estate - Atlas