Lana Del Rey Takes Top Spot on Billboard Album Chart
Posted by Jeremy Thomas on 06.25.2014
Ultraviolence debuts ahead of Sam Smith and Linkin Park...
Lana Del Rey scored her first #1 album on the Billboard album chart. Billboard reports that the singer/songwriter's Ultraviolence sold 182,000 copies in its debut week to claim the #1 spot for her best week to date. It is her first #1 album on the chart to date; Born to Die peaked at #2 in January 2012 with 77,000 copies sold. It has since gone on to sell over 1.1 million copies.
Coming in at #2 was Sam Smith's debut LP In the Lonely Hour with 166,000 copies sold, while Linkin Park's The Hunting Party bowed at #3 with 110,000 copies sold. It's the first album not to hit #1 for the band since Hybrid Theory peaked at #2 in 2002. The Frozen soundtrack was down a spot to #4 with 42,000 copies sold while Willie Nelson debuted at #6 with Band of Brothers, which sold 37,000. It's Nelson's highest-charting album since 1982.
In the bottom half of the top ten, Miranda Lambert's Platinum was down four to #6 with 34,000 copiues sold and Jack White's Lazaretto was down six to #7 with 34,000 as well. Jennifer Lopez's A.K.A. debuted at #8 with 33,000 which is her lowest sales debut to date. Deadmau5 bowed at #9 with while(1<2), starting with 30,000 copies sold, and Brantley Gilbert's Just As I Am was down six to #10 with 26,000.
Check out the full top ten below:
1. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence (182,000)
2. Sam Smith - In the Lonely Hour (166,000)
3. Linkin Park - The Hunting Party (110,000)
4. Frozen soundtrack (42,000)
5. Willie Nelson - Band of Brothers (37,000)
6. Miranda Lambert - Platinum (34,000)
7. Jack White - Lazaretto (34,000)
8. Jennifer Lopez - A.K.A. (33,000)
9. Deadmau5 - while(1<2) (30,000)
10. Brantley Gilbert - Just As I Am (26,000)