The CHIKARA Special 3.07.10: A Day Late, a Dollar Short
Posted by Kevin Ford on 03.07.2010
A Sunday edition of the Special! I give my thoughts on the shows from this past weekend (which of course, are the correct opinions) and bring you back to the King of Trios news station!
Another weekend of CHIKARA has come and gone, and we have some stories coming out of it. Let's take a look at the first night.
Results from this past weekend
The first show, "The Mint Condition" took place in Reading, PA this past Saturday, February 27th. This is a brand new venue in Reading CHIKARA is running (Goodwill Fire Association Hall), which looks creepily similar to the Hellertown venue CHIKARA ran from 2005 to 2008 when it closed. A Meet N' Greet session was met before hand, which has gotten rave reviews from the company and fans alike. Hopefully this is something the company continues to do when they run new buildings/markets, as it's a great way to connect and reach potentially new/loyal fans.
Here are the results from the show (directly from the official CHIKARA message board), with my thoughts:
1) Fire Ant, Soldier Ant and Green Ant (The Colony) were awarded a victory via disqualification over Lince Dorado, Pinkie "Pink Ant" Sanchez and Daizee Haze (of the Bruderschaft des Kreuzes,) due to outside interference from Sara Del Rey. Soldier Ant had Sanchez tied up in the CHIKARA Special, but before he could tap out, Del Rey entered the ring and attacked Soldier Ant, leading to the DQ. (Disqualification in 14:51)
This actually annoyed me. Now, I always say that everything in CHIKARA happens for a reason. I still believe this. However, I do not see the point in the first ever loss for the BDK to be by disqualification in a six-man tag. Shouldn't there first loss be memorable and important? This just seemed silly. It did no favors for the Colony or the Brüderschaft, and just seems like an arbitrary finish. I hope this leads to something, because I am certainly no fan of how they decided to do this.
2) Delirious defeated Player Dos, via Praying Mantis Bomb. (Pinfall in 9:35)
Perfectly acceptable, especially when you consider Delirious had a Campeonatos de Parejas match the next night and Dos and Uno are teaming again.
3) Hallowicked and Frightmare (of Incoherence) teamed with Ophidian and Amasis (of The Osirian Portal) to take a win over the quartet of Icarus and Gran Akuma (of F.I.S.T.) and Chad & Brad Badd (The Badd Boyz.) It was Hallowicked who scored the win for his team, pinning Icarus after a Yakuza Kick. (Pinfall in 16:44)
Not really a lot to say here, although from pictures I've seen, the Badd Boys have shaved and cut their hair. It makes them look a lot less rugged and kind of ruins the image. Regardless, I'm a big Hallowicked fan, and have no issue with him pinning Icarus.
4) Claudio Castagnoli and Ares (of the BDK) picked up their first point toward title contention by beating Dasher Hatfield and Sugar Dunkerton (The Throwbacks), when Ares hit the Tiger Driver. (Pinfall in 10:39)
This is exactly what it should have been and what I thought it was going to be. Heck, I love the Throwbacks, but if Claudio and Ares had made short work of them I'd have no complaints. I bet this was good, especially when the BDK are hated and the Throwbacks are universally beloved.
5) Tim Donst made his first successful defense of the Young Lions Cup by beating Player Uno. (Pinfall in 11:58)
I'm a big fan of Donst as Rudo, far more than him as a Tecnico. Uno also has brought the goods for the past year or so and I am excited that him and Dos are teaming again. To help advance Donst's CHIKARA career and the dominance of the BDK, I wholeheartedly approve of him retaining the Cup. A more formidable opponent should take the Cup. But not for awhile.
6) Tursas (of the BDK) pinned Eddie Kingston, thanks in large part to an illegal assist from Claudio Castagnoli, followed by a flying splash off the middle rope. (Pinfall in 3:49)
This match perplexes me. I thought that "A Touch Of Class" was an indication that Kingston was the guy to demolish BDK. I thought he was going to run through everyone one-by-one until finally getting his big rematch with Claudio. I can see the argument that Claudio realizes Kingston is the big obstacle for the BDK and decided to interfere to stop his momentum/get in his mind, but this doesn't do Tursas any favors either. I don't know, something about this really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Maybe I'll change my mind when I actually watch it.
7) In the main event, Jigsaw, Equinox and Helios (The Future Is Now) teamed with Mike Quackenbush to take on Vin Gerard, STIGMA and Colin Delaney (of The UnStable) as well as Brodie Lee in an 8-man tag team match. Quackenbush defeated Delaney using his original Quackendriver. (Pinfall in 21:35)
This sounds like a very fun atomicos match. I really think Brodie should be in the UnStable. They have been such a non-entity in CHIKARA since last years King of Trios tournament, which is really sad. Brodie needs a stable to call home and he's done fit in with the other misfits well. With that said, the UnStable should probably also start winning some matches. In this instance, I agree with the decision, because Quack and The Future Is Now are crucial antagonists to the BDK.
Overall this looks like a mixed bag of a show on paper. Reading has been a great CHIKARA crowd since 2007 and I'm glad they found a better venue, because the other one looked low rent and didn't have much room for growth. With the new venue mirroring one of the more popular venues of the past, it will hopefully become a similar institution in the CHIKARA canon. Speaking of, CHIKARA returns to Reading on August 27th, 28th, and 29th to present the 8th annual Young Lions Cup tournament. It's a shame for Reading fans that it will be half a year before they see CHIKARA live again, but it's good to see the company has grown so much that they're hitting multiple markets.
The second show, "A World of Comforting Illusions", looks to be a much better overall show. This was CHIKARA's debut in Pottsville, PA. Although, the venue, Goodfellas, got some mixed reactions from fans, they were at least treated to a night of solid wrestling. Let's take a look at those results, yeah?
1) Dasher Hatfield and Sugar Dunkerton picked up a point over Vin Gerard and STIGMA, thanks to a Victory Roll from Dasher. (Pinfall in 8:00)
I love the Throwbacks, and I knew they'd lose to Claudio and Ares, so I'm glad they're back on the figurative point train. Sadly though, it was at the UnStable's expense. I guess they're the defacto Rudo jobbers. *sigh*
2) Brodie Lee defeated Green Ant via Liger Bomb. (Pinfall in 4:13)
Brodie killing someone always gets a big thumbs up from me. It's just fun.
3) Hallowicked and Frightmare were declared victorious over Daizee Haze and Sara Del Rey by virtue of the "excesivo de castigo" call, giving them a point. After a succession of piledrivers from Sara on Frightmare with no attempt to pin him, the referee made the call (at the 8:49 mark).
Oh good, another DQ loss for the Brüderschaft. But I guess they had to do that, given what happened in the next match. I'm not nearly as annoyed with this DQ as much as I was the others. Because Sara and Daizee losing their point was pertinent, and the BDK can't lose clean just yet. So in this instance, I'll let it slide.
4) Claudio Castagnoli and Ares picked up their 2nd and 3rd points toward title contention in the 4-corner elimination tag match. First, Ares pinned Amasis, eliminating the Osirian Portal (in 9:53). Then, Player Dos used a Frog Splash on Brad Badd, to eliminate the Badd Boyz (in 15:21). Lastly, the Super Smash Bros. were eliminated when Claudio used the Inverted CHIKARA Special to make Uno tap out (in a total running time of 20:52). Just prior to this, Uno had rolled Claudio up for a pin, but the referee was distracted and was not in time to count the fall.
Sweet, Claudio and Ares with three points! I got a feeling they'll dominate the Colony at "Wit, Verve, and a Bit O' Nerve" and bestow a reign of Deutch on CHIKARA! But I also appreciate the Super Smash Bros. getting a least one win in their, because if they're going to get back on track as a team, they need…y'know…wins…but yes, Claudio and Ares vs. The Colony is coming up soon and it shall be grand!
5) Eddie Kingston used the "Sliding D" forearm smash to beat Gran Akuma (Pinfall in 9:27)
Man oh man. I said last week this is the match I was looking forward to the most, and that hasn't changed. I heard these two beat the crap out of each other and I can't wait to see it. Very happy Kingston won, and it still looks like he'll be the CHIKARA guy to stop the BDK.
6) Tim Donst, Tursas, Lince Dorado and Pink Ant (all of the BDK) triumphed over Mike Quackenbush, Jigsaw, Equinox and Helios when Lince used a Shooting Star Press on Helios. Helios was incapacitated when Tursas caught him while executing the Sasuke Special and powerslammed him on the arena floor, leading to the finish of the bout. (Pinfall in 22:55)
I love the finish to this match. Lince gets the pin on his former partner, and gets to brag about it, even though Tursas did all the dirty work to lead to that pin. Quack and Jig also had some sweet dark green and gold tights. I bet this was full of nifty dives, and punches, and janx. Again, the BDK dominate over The Future is Now and Quack which I have no issue with.
7) Fire Ant & Soldier Ant retained Los Campeonatos de Parejas in two consecutive falls, first over Delirious (in 15:47) and then over UltraMantis Black (in an additional 1:30). Ares of the BDK came to ringside wielding the Eye of Tyr in the second fall, whispered something to Delirious, causing Delirious to abandon Mantis and exit the building all together. He was spotted running berzerk up and down the highway and through parking lots as fans departed.
This sounds great. From fan accounts, it sounds like Delirious ran in a parking lot across a river and either had to swim across or run a far distance. Mantis was yelling for him, and in the distance you heard Delirious' cry. Said to be an absolute hoot for the live crowd, and I hope a good portion of this was picked up for the DVD. I'm also pleased as punch that Mantis FINALLY got a shot at the Campeones de Parejas. It's almost criminal that such a beloved and tenured character has no titles to boast. Simply put, it will be cool to say where Mantis falls now in the BDK story. At a "Touch of Class", he had washed his hands clean of them, but now they've cost him the titles and dominance. My hope is at King of Trios we'll see Mantis, Crossbones, and Kingston as a team and they'll show the Brüderschaft what's what.
This sounds like a really great overall show. The last three matches especially sound excellent. Sadly, for the Pottsville fans, no return is in the works. I guess when CHIKARA runs a venue near a strip club with supposedly rude staff, a return would be unlikely. Them's the breaks!
My new, new, shiny blog, and I finally listen to you
You see that banner at the top of the page? Mr. BGUSA, Brad Garoon,The CHIKARA Special. You'll notice right now that all of my reviews that have been on this site are there. But, that's not all.
Finally, after BILLIONS of requests…I WILL be reviewing older CHIKARA shows. Not just some of them…all of them. If it's out there, I'll watch and review it. If it's on DVD on Smart Mark Video, that's a guarantee. Right this instant, the very first two CHIKARA shows ever are reviewed there.
Not only are all the CHIKARA shows eventually going to be reviewed (give me some time people, this is a big undertaking), but every appearance of a CHIKARA student in other companies will be reviewed. If a CHIKARA wrestler has appeared in ROH, FIP, IWA-MS, CZW, etc., I will do my damndest to find it and review it. Sometimes, certain matches are unavailable or impossible to find. But needless to say this will be an incredibly OCD CHIKARA blog that I very much hope all of you will enjoy.
With that said, if anybody has any random local indy shows they know of (past, present, future) that had CHIKARA wrestlers, email it to me! Remember, this only includes CHIKARA STUDENTS. Consult this page to know what I mean by students. I can't find all these shows myself, so it's with your help we can make this dream come true! I do it for you people. To quote Teddy Hart: "if you cheer for me, I will die for you!"
King of Trios News Station
It's roughly two months away, and we now have nine teams confirmed for the biggest tournament/CHIKARA event of the year! For the King of Trios tournament confirmed. So far, we have:
1) F.I.S.T (Icarus, Gran Akuma, & Chuck Taylor) (4th King of Trios; 2009 winners)
2) The Colony (Fire Ant, Soldier Ant, Green Ant) (3rd King of Trios for Fire Ant & Soldier Ant, 1st King of Trios for Green Ant)
3) The UnStable (Vin Gerard, STIGMA, & Colin Delaney) (2nd King of Trios for Vin Gerard and Colin Delaney, 4th for STIGMA who was a 2007 winner)
4) Team Frightning (Mike Quackenbush, Hallowicked, & Frightmare) (4th King of Trios for Quackenbush and Hallowicked, 2nd for Frightmare, Quackenbush was a 2007 winner)
5) The Future Is Now (Jigsaw, Helios, & Equinox) (3rd King of Trios for Helios and Equinox, 2nd for Jigsaw who was a 2007 winner)
6) The Brüderschaft (Claudio Castagnoli, Ares, & Tursas) (2nd King of Trios for Claudio, 1st for Ares and Tursas)
7) The Jackson 3 (Nick, Matt, & Malachi Jackson) (2nd King of Trios for Matt & Nick, 1st for Malachi)
8) The Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield, Sugar Dunkerton, & Matt Classic) (1st King of Trios)
9) The Brüderschaft (Lince Dorado, Tim Donst, & Pinkie Sanchez) (2nd King of Trios for Pinkie and Donst, 4th for Lince Dorado who was a 2008 winner)
We have seven more teams to go, six which will be announced, and the ninth will be decided in…
AIW's Jack of All Trios tournament! 16 teams, 2 nights, winning team gets a spot in the 2010 King of Trios tournament. The teams announced thusfar:
1) Da Soul Touchaz (Marshe Rockette, Acid Jaz, & Willie Richardson)
2) Team IWA: East Coast (Mad Man Pondo, Jon Moxley, & Zac Vincent)
3) Da Latin Crime Syndicate (Luis Diamante, Joey The Snake, & K Fernandez)
4) Jack Of Love (Jefferson Saint, Jack Verville, & Chest Flexor)
5) Alpha Beta Duke (Nick Belushi & Carlton Kaz) and John Thorne
6) Psycho Sexual Panic (Shiima Xion, Façade, & ???)
7) Johnny Gargano and Aeroform (Louis Lyndon & Flip Kendrick)
8) Team LWA Showcase (Evan Gelistico, Pierre Abernathy, & Gary J.)
9) The Homeless-Handicap Connection (Hobo Joe, Gregory Iron, & Robert Paulson)
10) The Young Studs (Bobby Beverly, TJ Dynamite, & Eric Ryan)
11) Pleather Platoon (Dave The Potato, Ben Fruith, & Corey Winters)
12) Marion Fontaine, Johnny Cockstrong, & Super Oprah
13) Team Beyond Wrestling (Davey Vega, Chase Burnett, & Zane Silver)
This will be a great tournament to expose some of the younger guys that some fans may not be familiar with. Plus with guys like The Soul Touchaz, Jon Moxley, Johnny Gargano, and Aeroform, new fans should be comfortable enough with guys they know and like to give the other guys a chance (having seen some AIW myself, I think you should).
Some words from Ares and Claudio Castagnoli, who will challenge The Colony for the Campeonatos de Parejas later this month.
Absolute TV Episode 16 is live, and covers the past AIW show as well as information of the upcoming Jack of All Trios tournament.
An interesting promo from Team LWA Showcase. At least Pierre Abernathy cut his ugly hair.
Check out all the new podcasts with myself and/or Jerome Cusson at Pro Wrestling Ponderings. This week, a plethora of podcasts have been put up, and one with Ari Berenstein talking Ring of Honor is being recorded today. The podcasts, as well as other wrestling goodies, can be found at Pro Wrestling Ponderings.
Brad Garoon's blog, Open The Garoon Gate is all about Dragon Gate and Dragon Gate USA. He reviews every Infinity, PPV, appearance of a Dragon Gate wrestler in the U.S. and other Japanse promotion, etc. You owe it to yourself to check out that blog, as well as his Toryumon and dragondoor/El Dorado/Secret Base blogs which you can find links to on his Dragon Gate blog. Jake Ziegler also blog, JZ Says, which has WWE, TNA, ROH, and even film reviews. Make sure to check out and enjoy both!
If you have not begun listening, Mike Quackenbush and Clayton Morris (of FOX News & Friends) host a pop-culture podcast known as The Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe. Clayton and Mike talk about all things geek such as movies, music, television, comic books, tech stuff, and wrestling here and there. I find it wildly entertaining, as Clayton and Mike play off each other very well. It's also really cool to hear Mike talk about non-wrestling stuff as well. So please, check out The Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe and subscribe to their podcast on iTunes.
Thanks so much again for reading this weeks CHIKARA Special! Keep your eyes on my blog, as I will be updating it very soon with show from 2003 and outside appearances featuring CHIKARA guys. Next week, we'll talk the shows coming up on Match 20th and 21st! Until then, have a good week!