411’s Wrestler of the Week 1.01.13: Year Eight, Week 39
Posted by Larry Csonka on 01.01.2013
The Big Show continues to dominate WWE as World Champion, Bobby Roode and Austin Aries delivered in the main event of Impact and more! Check out 411's Wrestler of the Week for all the details…
Welcome to WEEK 39, YEAR EIGHT of 411's Wrestler of the Week. A quick overview of the rules to kick things off for us as a reminder…
Each writer chooses FIVE wrestlers from any promotion and each wrestler gets a point total attached to that ranking. It looks a little like this…
1st - 5
2nd - 4
3rd - 3
4th - 2
5th - 1
Then we tally up the votes and the official 411 Wrestler of the Week is crowned. But wait, there's more! Each week the top SIX vote getters get a points value for their ranking which looks something like this…
1st - 15
2nd - 12
3rd - 9
4th - 6
5th - 3
6th - 1
...and they go towards the 411 Wrestler of the Year award to be announced each year around WrestleMania. This will be posted every Monday (the voting week runs Monday through Sunday). Let's see who wins this week…
1) Bobby Roode and Austin Aries
Bobby Roode and Austin Aries were in a very entertaining match on Impact this past week, where each man did their best to OUT HEEL the other. It was greatly entertaining, and honestly the most entertaining thing I watched all week.
2) Stevie Richards: Won the Extreme Rising title over the weekend, beating Luke Hawx and Rhino in the same night.
3) Big Show: Big Show continues to be greatly entertaining during his latest run as Champion.
4) Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi, & Mr. Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin
5) Great Khali
1) The Big Show
Successfully defended his World Heavyweight title on Smackdown against Alberto Del Rio and took out two other challengers beforehand, sure those challengers were Ricardo and Santino but still, the guy was the main focus of Smackdown and dominant up until the very end of the show where the whole roster had to unite against him.
2) Austin Aries & Robert Roode: Both men put on one of the best heel performances in a match for the whole year and ended 2012 with a bang, I just hope TNA go for a triple threat match at Genesis and one of the men can steal the belt off that twat Jeff Hardy.
3) Sheamus: Beat the Big Show in their Lumber Jack-Frost match on Raw and then Brogued the giant on Smackdown, almost certainly guaranteeing that he will get another shot against him for the title in the near future.
4) Dolph Ziggler
5) The Great Khali
1) The Great Khali
This was really sort of a lame duck week in wrestling, with WWE not doing much because of Christmas and the major Japanese promotions not doing much because the scene over there is gearing up for the January 4 WrestleKingdom show. Because the pickings were slim, the biggest accomplishment this week is probably the Great Khali winning an almost twenty minute battle royal on WWE Main Event, which was booked to make him look like a real killer. Now he goes on to challenge for Antonio Cesaro's United States Title next week.
2) The Jimmys: The trio of Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi, & Mr. Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin (yes, that's his ring name) retained their Open the Triangle Gate Titles on Dragon Gate's weekend show, probably the most noteworthy title match of the week.
3) AKIRA: Tajiri's Wrestling New Classic promotion is so small that I normally wouldn't vote for it here, but, again, this was a slow week, so I'll give former NJPW star AKIRA some kudos for becoming the company's first champion this week.
4) The Usos
In a slow week, Sheamus gets the #1 slot for more or less securing his eventual rematch (again) for the World Title.
2) The Big Show: Show was booked like a monster on Smackdown and it made him look like more like a force to be reckoned with than he's been in a while.
3) Austin Aries & Bobby Roode (tie): Put together a great match on Impact in the main event.
4) Dolph Ziggler
5) Great Khali
Robert S. Leighty Jr
1) The Big Show
When booked correctly The Big Show is gun to watch, and booking him as a monster is the right way to book him.
2) Sheamus: I guess his feud with Show must continue even though I would like to see both move onto something else.
3) The Great Khali: Much like Show, The Great Khali can be useful when booked correctly and a giant winning a battle royal is a good way to show how dominant he can be. Now will be fun to see Cesaro knock him off and try to give him The Neutralizer.
5) John Cena
1) Stevie Richards
I have been a big Stevie Richards fan since his ECW days, and have always thought that he could have been a bigger star than he turned out to be. He's had a good career, but was never the guy so to speak, so when he won the Extreme Rising title this past weekend I was very happy for him. Sure some will chalk it up to a slow week, but I really feel that his title win was the biggest accomplishment of the week.
2) Austin Aries and Bobby Roode: Had a great match on Impact, and even though neither man is the champion, have been a good focal point for TNA recently.
3) Great Khali: Won a battle royal on Main Event to earn a shot at the US Title.
5) John Cena
Special Mention… Ryo Saito, Genki Horiguchi, & Mr. Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin -3 Votes
Fifth Place…Stevie Richards - 9 Votes
Fourth Place…Great Khali - 14 Votes
Third Place…Sheamus - 15 Votes
His win in the Lumber Jack Frost match earned him enough votes to get into the top three…
Second Place…Big Show - 17 Votes
Still dominating as World Champion…
Wrestler of the Week…Bobby Roode and Austin Aries - 18 Votes
Delivered in the main event on Impact…
And here are the standings after week 39…
Mark Henry - 4 points (WWE) PAC - 4 points (WWE) Genki Horiguchi - 4 point (Dragon Gate)
Michael Elgin – 3 point (ROH) Paul Heyman - 3 points (WWE) Jerry Lawler - 3 points (WWE) Stevie Richards - 3 points (US Independent) Gran Akuma - 3 points (US Independent) Sara Del Rey - 3 points (WWE) Chris Sabin - 3 points (TNA) Chavo Guerrero - 3 points (TNA) Hernandez - 3 points (TNA) Robbie E - 3 points (TNA) Christian York - 3 points (TNA) Tommy Dreamer - 3 point (US Independent)
Jon Davis - 2 point (US Independent) Kota Ibushi - 2 point (NJPW)
Mick Foley - 1 points (WWE) Shuji Kondo – 1 point (Japan) Akebono – 1 point (Japan) Dick Togo – 1 point (Japan) Yujiro Takahashi - 1 point (NJPW) Tara - 1 point (TNA) Miss Tessmacher - 1 point (TNA) Katsuhiko Nakajima - 1 point (NOAH) Charlie Haas – 1 point (ROH) Shelton Benjamin – 1 point (ROH) Layla - 1 point (WWE) Dmitrious "The Greek God" Papadon - 1 point (US Independent) Kenny Omega - 1 point (US Independent) Sami Callihan - 1 point (US Independent) El Terrible - 1 point (CMLL) Rush - 1 point (CMLL) Ryo Saito - 1 point (Dragon Gate) Mr. Kyu Kyu Toyonaka Dolphin - 1 point (Dragon Gate)
Voting began 4.09.12
Year-End Rankings Key:
WWE, Raw, SmackDown and NXT-Contracted Wrestlers are represented in BLUE.
TNA Contracted Wrestlers are represented in GREEN.
ROH Contracted Wrestlers are represented in RED.
US Independent Wrestlers are represented in MAROON.
Japanese Contracted Wrestlers are represented in BLACK.
Mexican Contracted Wrestlers are represented in MAGENTA.
Other International Wrestlers are represented in INDIGO.