Chris Jericho hosted The Highlight Reel, Alberto Del Rio faced Dolph Ziggler and more! Check 411's full WWE Main Event Report for all of the details!
Michael Benjamin here with another Main Event recap! Tonight, Main Event is Jericho! So let's get to the show.
WWE Championship Roll Call: WWE Champion: The Rock World Champion: Alberto Del Rio IC Champion: Wade Barrett US Champion: Antonio Cesaro Unified Diva's Champion: Kaitlyn WWE World Tag Team Champions: Daniel Bryan and Kane
WWE MAIN EVENT 2.13.13
- Jericho is on his way down to the ring as we kick off the show. Cole is pimping how many Elimination Chamber matches he's been in. Oh yeah, how many has he won? Jericho explains that Miz couldn't make it tonight because of the brutal attack from Antonio Cesaro on Monday. They replay it. I love it. Jericho's about to introduce Alberto Del Rio as the replacement guest but Ricardo insists that he makes the introduction. Here comes ADR to a real good pop. It's kind of weird seeing all three of these guys in the ring as babyfaces.
- Alberto says that he doesn't want to talk about Big Show anymore and then proceeds to talk about him. He says that he'll defeat Big Show at the Chamber. Jericho says that he has nothing but respect for Alberto and his family. Despite that respect, if Jericho wins at Elimination Chamber he's going to go on to beat ADR for the title at Mania. Alberto says that he doubts that will happen. Things break down quickly and all three men are going back and forth in Spanish. Ricardo was going on a hilariously long winded rant before...
- Ziggler, accompanied by AJ and Langston, interrupt the argument. I could have gone for another 5 minutes of that. Jericho speculates as to what the E stands for in Big E Langston. Seems like the crowd liked "Ear Wax" the best. Big E is getting frustrated but Ziggler cuts him off. He calms Big E down and declares that he'll be cashing in his contract before Mania. Alberto says that he wants to shut Dolph Ziggler up tonight.
Dolph Ziggler (w/ Big E and AJ) vs. Alberto Del Rio (w/ Ricardo)
The match is official and here we go. Alberto locks in the side headlock. Dolph gets out of that and hits the ropes. Alberto hits a nice hip toss on Dolph. Big E pulls Ziggler out of the ring so that he can catch is breath. Aw. That was nice. Ziggler's back in and Alberto immediately corners him. Some kicks and a clothesline from Alberto. Alberto gets him in the middle of the ring and goes for a suplex. Ziggler reverses that and hits a snap suplex on ADR. It's time for DZ to mount some offense. He gets a two count off a neck breaker. Dolph locks in a side headlock and Alberto quickly makes it to his feet. He hits the ropes and Ziggler turns him inside out with a clothesline. Alberto eventually regains control and charges at Ziggy in the corner. He evades that situation and Alberto goes shoulder first into the ring post. Ricardo is checking on him outside of the ring as we head to...
We're back as Ziggler drops seven elbows on Alberto. He stops as soon as the crowd starts counting out loud. That's a nice little heel tactic. Alberto fights out of a sleeper and hits the ropes. He ends up getting dropkicked and Ziggler gets a 2.5 count! He gives ADR a strong whip into the corner. He waits for ADR to get to his feed and hits another dropkick. This time for 2.6! Why didn't he go for the Zig Zag though? ADR catapults Ziggler into the top turnbuckle and the tides have turned. Ziggler makes it to his feet in the corner and Alberto charges! Ziggler back body drops him over the ring post! He rolls him in and gets a 2.7! Ziggler goes to the top rope but ADR crotches him. Ziggler his sitting with his back to the ring. ADR hits a huge reverse suplex! These, guys are seriously putting it all on the line tonight. Both men are down and we head to another commersh break. We're getting more!? Awesome.
We're back and Ziggler and Del Rio are slugging it out! Boo! Yeah! Boo! Yeah! Dropkick by Ziggler! Ziggler misses a splash in the corner and here comes Alberto! Tilt-A-Whirl backbreaker on Ziggler! This crowd is rabid for Alberto! Kick to the face! 2.89999! What's he gonna have to do!? He's calling for the cross arm breaker as the crowd chants Si! Ziggler counters with a HUGE DDT! 1... 2... NO~! Alberto makes it to his feet! Ziggler misses a clothesline and gets locked up in the ropes! Alberto delivers some punches to the ribs and a Lung Blower. AJ puts Zigglers foot on the ropes! ADR is like WTF at AJ and turns around only to get hit with a Fameasser! Alberto works the arm and calls for the arm breaker again! Alberto charges at Ziggler in the corner but Ziggler jumps up and catches a sleeper! Del Rio makes it to his feet and gets an enziguri for TWO! Del Rio sets him up! Ziggler pushes him off and he goes face first into a fist by Langston! AJ is distracting the ref! Ricardo attacks Langston and Langston chases him to the back. In the ring, Alberto locks it in finally! It's over! That was an awesome TV match. There was never a dull moment. And before anybody says anything - NO! Ziggler did not look weak at all!
OFFICIAL RESULT: Alberto Del Rio @ about 23:00 via submission.
- We're back and we're hyping up the Chamber match with replays and whatnot.
- Cole sends us to the back for an interview with Punk. Striker is confused that he's actually conducting the interview Heyman. Heyman says that him being there is the same as Punk being there considering he IS the voice of the voice of the voiceless. He begins to interview himself and says that Punk IS in the arena but he's busy training for his match with Rock. He continues on and does a better job hyping up the title match in one minute than The Rock did with 10 minutes on Raw.
RAW REBOUND: We get the replay of the The Shield promo on Raw. Since everybody else is doing it, here's my take on these guys. They're all capable in the ring and the general debate is over their mic work. Dean Ambrose is far and beyond the most developed on the mic. If he has a long run with the company, he'll probably go down as one of the top talkers in company history. Seth Rollins is serviceable. He's actually a lot better than people give him credit for. The problem is that he has to share the stage with Ambrose. That's no easy task. I'm still on the fence with Reigns though. Sometimes he just delivers his lines SO cheesy. At least to me. I see Rollins being the first to get canned for some reason.
OVERALL: This was a great episode of Main Event. The Highlight Reel was short and entertaining. Everybody involved in it is great on the stick so that's no surprise. Alberto Del Rio vs Dolph Ziggler was definitely a PPV quality match like the early reports suggested. They did a great job hyping up the Elimination Chamber too. It was a little weird that we ended on a Raw Rebound but Del Rio vs Ziggler was so good that it didn't matter. Go out of your way to find that match if you can. ,
As always, thank you for reading and I'll see you on Friday with the Smackdown Report!